I had few Vendakkai ( Okra ) and some Kovakkai ( Gherkin / Ivy gourd ) left over from last week grocery shopping , So this recipe was born with the Combo of those two Vendakkai and Kovakkai by cooking with Yogurt ( Curd ) . I have already Posted Kovakkai ( Gherkins ) Varuval here , and Vendakkai ( Okra ) Varuval here and here . So off to today's Post .
|VENDAKKAI KOVAKKAI VARUVAL | OKRA GHERKIN FRY|
- Okra / Ladies finger / Vendakkai - 10 number , Sliced
- Ivy gourd / Kovakkai - 15 number , sliced
- Yogurt - 2 tablespoon , beaten
- Onion - 1 number , chopped
- Oil - 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dhal - 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder - 2 tea spoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
|Okra Tindora Varuval ( Fry )|
Heat oil in a wok , add oil , add the mustard seeds and allow it to pop . Now add the urad dhal and fry till it turns brown .Now add the onions and fry till they become translucent .
Add the Sliced Vendakkai ( okra ) and Kovakkai ( Ivy gourd / Gherkin ) , turmeric powder , red chilli powder , and salt and Mix .
Now add the Yogurt ( Curd ) and Mix .
The Vegetables will get cooked in the yogurt, so do not add water .Fry till they turn golden brown in color .
Enjoy this with Steamed rice and curry of your Choice .
Check out the other Stir Fry ( Varuval ) recipes by clicking here .
- The yogurt could be skipped and water could be sprinkled if you want to make the dish Vegan .
- Sambar powder could also be used in place of Red chilli Powder .